Wednesday, May 11, 2016

The Sage

Okay, so again I’m sorry I wasn’t able to finish my last post about the TL. I hope you learned a few things, though. We can come back to it soon, I may just publish an update to the original post, so be on the lookout.


So last night I was going to go over the Sage. He/She is the person that our MC comes back to every so often and, in one way or another, charges out upgraded, whether physically or mentally.
Sage characters have a small list of qualities you want to hold onto loosely:


  1. They tend to be older than our MC (unless you’ve got some freaky reverse-world-thing going on.)
  2. They usually are not in the battle, as their battle days are over. (this is a rule that you really want to hang loosely on)
  3. They are a wellspring of _____. (This is the most important; you need this one.)


Sage characters are becoming less and less the norm in books; instead we are in a trend of many different, smaller sages.  However, I would recommend that you keep a dominant Sage character.
Sages tend to influence our MC with wisdom, offering advice when asked, eager to see our MC rise into the role he/she was destined to fulfill. However, the good ones tend to be quiet, wanting to allow your MC to experience life. They also push your MC to stretch the limits of what your MC can do.
The Sage is a fountain of… something. Usually wisdom; however, you can branch out to whatever you want. Me and my author friend’s Sage character is more of a… well, I can’t necessarily give that away. Either way, you will want to make it
The Sage character is very delicate: you really can’t mess with this one. If you make the Sage character cheesy or especially cliche, it will affect your entire scene, if not the entire book.
Your Sage character can adapt to two main moods:
  • He/She is housed in one particular spot, where the MC can access him/her at all times.
  • He/She is in the battle/interlaced in the plot line, and takes your MC under his/her wing, since they see that your MC needs help.
Your Sage character is also usually highlighted by two different moods:
  • Old, discerning,
  • Battle-worn, seen-it-all, tough-loving
More and more movies tend toward the latter model; however, most fans have a special place of respect reserved for an older, wiser mentor. I would recommend both. Perhaps a sort of feud between them, with the MC having to discern between each mentor? I don't know whats best for your book...
Oh, and by the way, I'm sorry for accusing you of not reading my blog. That was mean. Maybe I'm doing so well, you really don't have a question. If you do, however, or if you want to see something on blog not yet covered, then ask!

2 comments: